[OpenStack-docs] Writing RST Conventions

Gauvain Pocentek gauvain.pocentek at objectif-libre.com
Tue Nov 11 19:16:39 UTC 2014

Le 2014-11-11 15:21, Anne Gentle a écrit :
> On Sat, Nov 8, 2014 at 12:51 PM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:
>
>> As discussed on Friday at the Docpod, I'd like to add RST conventions
>> so
>> that they can be used by others, for example infra-manual.
>>
>> Looking at
>> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Docbook_conventions [1]
>> propose to rename the page from "Docbook conventions" to "Markup
>> conventions" and add for each Docbook example a corresponding RST
>> example.
>> I prefer this option (having Docbook and RST on the same page) since
>> that also helps with moving from one to the other.
>>
>> Alternative would be a complete new page.
>>
>> Anybody with objections with moving forward with a single page?
>
> Ah, good thinking. So on that page, can we provide a mapping of
> Docbook to RST? Such as:
>
> docbook=rst
> command = :command:
>
> filename = :file:
> literal = :samp:
> programlisting = ?
> screen = ?

I don't think we'll get as many tags in RST as we have in docbook. We
can implement extensions in sphinx to add features, but this means more
maintenance and it's probably not useful in most cases (Do we really
need a <screen> equivalent?).

Also, did we agree that RST is the way to go? I'm thinking PDF output
here. Does it work well enough for us?

Gauvain