[OpenStack-docs] Reviewed page for Conventions and Style guide?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sun Nov 9 18:55:42 UTC 2014

On 2014-11-09 06:17:15 -0600 (-0600), Anne Gentle wrote:
> Yeah, that decision was the result of our discussions last week.
> Individuals aren't opposed to markdown, but the general consensus
> was that RST/Sphinx is in place already and supported tooling.

The reasons go deeper than mere existence of tooling: the majority
of our projects are written in Python, and stretching back 15+ years
the docstrings used for inline source code documentation in Python
projects have been reStructuredText or its ancestors/siblings
(StructuredText, StructuredTextNG). The same is true of the Python
interpreter's source code, the Python Standard Library, Python
Enhancement Proposals... in a Python-centric community RST is
assumed, and Python developers are accustomed to the format.
--
Jeremy Stanley