[Openstack-docs] Conventions for filenames and chapter/section IDs

Diane Fleming diane.fleming at RACKSPACE.COM
Mon May 26 14:47:42 UTC 2014

Matt,

What problem are you trying to solve by updating the xml:id values?

I'd start with one issue – the file names – and then figure out what you want to accomplish by changing xml:id values.

I personally don't see much value-add with updates to the ID's, but I could be missing something!

thanks,

Diane
Diane Fleming
Software Developer II - US
diane.fleming at rackspace.com
Cell  512.323.6799
Office 512.874.1260
Skype drfleming0227
Google-plus diane.fleming at gmail.com

From: Matt Kassawara <mkassawara at gmail.com<mailto:mkassawara at gmail.com>>
Date: Monday, May 26, 2014 9:42 AM
To: Diane Fleming <diane.fleming at rackspace.com<mailto:diane.fleming at rackspace.com>>
Cc: Anne Gentle <anne at openstack.org<mailto:anne at openstack.org>>, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com<mailto:aj at suse.com>>, "openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org>" <openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org>>
Subject: Re: [Openstack-docs] Conventions for filenames and chapter/section IDs

How about describing the hierarchy in IDs, but not necessarily with ch_, section_, etc? For example:

ch_networking -> networking
section_neutron-networking-ml2 -> networking-neutron-ml2
section_neutron-ml2-controller-node -> networking-neutron-ml2-controller-node

Also, would it help to indicate type in figure, table, and similar element IDs? For example:

example-architecture-with-legacy-networking -> fig_example-architecture-with-legacy-networking
table1 -> tab_getstart-openstack-services (from common/ch_getstart.xml)
para3 -> par_getstart-3 (from common/ch_getstart.xml)

Or... am I still the totally crazy noob?

P.S. - I'm also interested in ideas for standardizing filenames and/or locations for figures.