[Openstack-docs] Target audience

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Tue May 20 05:18:16 UTC 2014

Thanks for analyzing Andreas and Randy!

I like these three simple personas below.

Alice the admin
Alice is an administrator who is responsible for maintaining (and securing)
the OpenStack cloud installation. She has many years of experience with
Linux systems administration.
Darren the deployer
Darren is responsible for doing the initial OpenStack deployment on the
host machines.
Emile the end-user
Emile uses the cloud to do software development inside of the virtual
machines. She uses the command-line tools because she finds it quicker than
using the dashboard.

To me, Emile is a useful persona because she uses user tools and developer
tools -- and I do see a lot of blending across user/dev tools. Andreas, the
user we haven't yet started to document for is the application devops role,
the operator who would monitor applications in the cloud. They might be
super specialized for monitoring of the VMs themselves.

But I'm not sure whether there's a fourth persona who does planning and
setup, what do you all think? Archie the architect?

We also don't have to be super pattern-based, we can just write a section
describing the audience for each guide.