[Openstack-docs] Consistency for "titles" in lists?

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Fri May 2 20:12:07 UTC 2014

On 05/02/2014 09:24 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:

> On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com
> <mailto:aj at suse.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 05/02/2014 07:53 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:
>
>         I looked up Rackspace style and for a list that provides terms
>         and more
>         information that is not meant to be marked up as a variable
>         list, it's:
>
>         term space emdash space definition phrase period
>
>         Example:
>
>            * *Public* – This setting allows any two servers with public IP
>
>              addresses to be load balanced. These can be nodes outside
>         of the
>              Rackspace network, but if they are, standard bandwidth
>         rates apply.
>

>         I'd like to have someone at RedHat look up their style guide and
>         let us
>         know.
>

>     For the Operations Guide, we used - as specified by O'Reilly's guide
>     - no spaces around the emdashes.
>

> Technical these examples ARE variable lists and O'Reilly's style wants
> it written as such.
> http://chimera.labs.oreilly.com/books/1230000000969/ch02.html#variable_list

I agree that they are indeed variable lists - but we haven't followed
the markup usage in the manuals.

I'm fine with whatever convention we agree on, my goal is to have
consistency for new text and changes.

> Frequently, bulleted lists should be converted to variable lists. Any
> bulleted list whose entries consist of a short term and its definition
> should be converted. For example, the following bulleted list entries:
>
>   * Spellchecking: process of correcting spelling
>   * Pagebreaking—process of breaking pages
>
> should be variable list entries:
>
> Spellchecking
>     Process of correcting spelling
> Pagebreaking
>     Process of breaking pages

So, these two reviews:
https://review.openstack.org/91736
https://review.openstack.org/90625

should get a -1 because of not using variable lists?

Do we agree on this convention? Then I'll make it a bit clearer in the
conventions wiki page and will review accordingly.

>     What does the Rackspace guide say about the markup for term? Is it
>     emphasis in "bold"?
>

> No additional markup for the term.

That's different from what is used in many places in the manuals and if
we go to variable lists, it is mood.

thanks,
Andreas