[Openstack-docs] Add release version to config reference options

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Fri May 2 07:07:56 UTC 2014

Hi,

Related to our critical Bug #1191447: Clearly mark outdated doc pages,
I have proposed a new blueprint for Juno

"Add release version to config reference options"

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/add-release-version-to-config-reference-options

The continuously published configuration reference contains tables with
information about all configuration options in OpenStack.

Currently, these tables are updated from master, and always have the
latest information in them.

However, there continues to be users of older releases who still need
reference information for their configuration options.

The toolchain used to generate the tables is able to operate on any git
repository checkout, meaning it can also generate historical tables.

This blueprint proposes to automatically provide some form of release
information with the configuration option by comparing the options
generated from two different repositories.

For example
* an option that appears in a Havana repository, but does not appear in
an Icehouse repository was deprecated in Havana.
* an option that does not exist in Grizzly, but appears in Havana is a
new option to Havana

These sort of cases should then be communicated to the reader. A
selection between three potential forms for this information are envisaged:
1. tables are updated with an additional column that provides release
information (eg "available from Icehouse onwards", "deprecated in Essex")
2. a table of "new and removed" options between Icehouse and Juno is
added as an appendix
3. the configuration reference is branched for the Juno release, with
different versions of the tables in each

Your thoughts are desired. It's also highly unlikely I will have time to
work on this myself, so if someone likes the idea so much they want to
step up and do it please volunteer!

Regards,

Tom