[Openstack-docs] Training guide collaboration?

Colin McNamara colin at 2cups.com
Thu Mar 27 02:38:10 UTC 2014

My 2 Cents.

I completely agree about content duplication. This is a challenge, and an even larger one is the complete duplication of training material from RedHat, Skyline, Mirantis, RackSpace, etc. I think the larger goal would be to continue to grow the relevance of the OpenSource training initiatives so that we can consolidate resources (just like Aptira did last year). I personally have been through RedHat’s OpenStack training, and it has significant parts taken from the install guide. If we do consider promoting this to it’s own project, I think that will also drive more visibility and frankly marketing cred for those vendors to contribute. Again, with the exception of Aptira’s outstanding contributions, this has been Operator led. (even though Sean is a Yahoo employee, and I am a Nexus IS employee.

The vagrant scripts address a reality of common training scenarios. These map to commonly used practices in lab training, which are providing a trainer the ability to “fast forward” a trainee to a portion of the content. These are also duplicated in closed source training content by other providers. I see this need only continuing as in some of the more advanced courses, such as the Dev course,

There may also be an assumption that the trainee is not a deployer of, but a consumer of OpenStack. This persona is targeted by, and training provided to by Amazon AWS rather successfully. As Operators and in the community , this need has started to come up and seems to be a logical item to address, both in technical documentation, but also in training and enablement.

The million dollar question, does focusing on training and enablement duplicate effort by Docs. I’d say before we started addressing this problem that the effort was not duplicated. And that the only thing similar was available in via closed sourced options outside of the project. I think this still holds true.

Out of all of these items, I think that the biggest factor to consider is getting additional contributions. At some point there is a relation to visibility and contribution. “Graduation” may be key to this occurring.

Regards,

Colin

Colin McNamara
People | Process | Technology