[Openstack-docs] Architecture diagrams for installation guide

Matt Kassawara mkassawara at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 04:22:23 UTC 2014

I'm working on new architecture diagrams for the installation guide and
would like some comments on the attached example for a three-node
environment with Neutron. I'm trying to provide the following information
without too much clutter:

1) Quantity of nodes for a basic environment and additional nodes required
for optional features (e.g., Swift storage node and Cinder volume node).
For now, the attached example only shows a basic environment.
2) Concept of base services required to launch a minimal instance.
3) Location of base services in the environment.
4) Concept of optional services that add features to a base environment.
5) Location of optional services in the environment.
6) Example hostname (e.g., compute1) for each node referenced throughout
the guide.
7) Quantity of network interfaces on each node.
8) Types of networks (color-coded) on each node (e.g., management)
referenced throughout the guide.
9) Example network interface names (e.g., eth0) and IP addressing
referenced throughout the guide.

I created this diagram using Inkscape on a reproducible 5-pixel grid with
simple colors... perhaps something we can document once we agree on it.