[Openstack-docs] Conventions on naming [clarifications]

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Fri Mar 14 19:13:13 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On 03/14/2014 06:33 AM, Don Domingo wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I apologize for bringing this up a bit late, seeing as the OpenStack
> > project naming conventions have already been discussed last month:
> > http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-docs/2014-February/003804.html
> >
> > Anyhow, I wanted to clarify:
> >
> > * Why do "Identity Service" and "Image Service" have the word "Service" as
> > part of their names? I assume that this is the case, seeing as "Service"
> > is initcapped?
>
> I guess that's historical..

Yeah, it's interesting because the names endorsed by the TC are recorded here:

    http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/tree/reference/programs.yaml

...and while "Image Service appears to be recorded there, "Identity Service" is referred to just as "Identity". I'm not sure there is a method to the madness there :). Which programs get included in core and thus can be prefixed with OpenStack is the domain of the board.

Thanks,

Steve