[Openstack-docs] doc-specs repo?

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Mon Jun 30 21:45:27 UTC 2014

Hi again all,

Thanks to Andreas we have the correct voting access list for the docs-specs
repo: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/103115/

I wanted to be sure we all understand when you do a spec. This is
especially important for docs-specs where you might be better off spending
time revising an actual patch rather than continuously revising a spec. A
spec can be used for:
- adding a large portion to an existing deliverable to ensure buy-in from
the core doc team
- adding an entirely new deliverable to the docs project
- any work that requires both content and tooling changes, such as the
addition of the API reference site, for sure that work needed a blueprint
- any large reorganization of a deliverable or set of deliverables
- automation work that will need to be designed prior to proposing a patch
- work that should definitely be discussed at a summit

Use bugs for:
- known content issues, even if you have to do multiple patches in order to
close the bug
- additions of content that is just plain missing
- known errors in the document

I want to ensure we balance out the need for up-front approval with "just
write it already" -- it's a balancing act and we all should start from a
point of agreement on these guidelines.

Feel free to ask for clarity -