[Openstack-docs] weighted vs. weighed

Roger Luethi rl at patchworkscience.org
Sat Jun 28 05:40:17 UTC 2014

A recent review made me wonder about how we are using weight in the
documentation. When OpenStack talks about weight, it doesn't mean mass
but a statistical property.

Such properties, to the best of my knowledge (and a little web search),
are used when "weighting" the members of a class, when producing
a weighted average or a weighted index. But some of the OpenStack
documentation talks about "weighing".

Here are some samples from nova docs:

# During its work Filter Scheduler firstly makes dictionary of
# unfiltered hosts, then filters them using filter properties and
# finally chooses hosts for the requested number of instances (each
# time it chooses the most weighed host and appends it to the list of
# selected hosts).

# If we speak about `filtering` and `weighting`, their work is quite
# flexible in the Filter Scheduler.

In the openstack-manuals repo, I found examples that seem correct to me
("Devices are weighted by size.") and others that are rather dubious
or clearly incorrect ("How the metrics are going to be weighed.",
"Hosts and cells are weighed based on the following options [...]").

Unfortunately, the API docs are sometimes rather unhelpful, containing
explanations like this gem:

#     def weight_multiplier(self):
#        """How weighted this weigher should be.

Anyone else want to weigh in on this matter?

Roger