[Openstack-docs] Fwd: Re: [Openstack] Renewing keystone signing certs

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Tue Jun 24 02:59:57 UTC 2014

This should be added to the ops guide

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Openstack] Renewing keystone signing certs
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 09:37:44 +1000
From: Sam Morrison <sorrison at gmail.com>
To: Adam Young <ayoung at redhat.com>
CC: openstack at lists.openstack.org

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the advice, I’ve tested it out and it is possible to switch
over pretty seamlessly.

Here is what I did (spelt out in full for others reading):

1. Generate a new signing key
2. Generate a new certificate request
3. Sign this with the existing CA to generate a new signing_cert.
4. Append the new signing cert to the old signing cert. Make sure the
old cert is first in the file.
5. Remove all signing certs from all your hosts to force nova etc to
download the new signing_cert(s)
6. Replace the signing key with the new signing key AND at the same time
flip the signing_cert file so the new signing cert is now first in the file.

After the old cert has expired you can safely remove the old signing
cert from the file.

It would be great if keystoneclient could have a max_age on the
signing_cert so it would periodically download a fresh one. I would
think if it downloaded a new one every 7 days or so would suffice.

Cheers,
Sam