[Openstack-docs] Clearly marking trunk/ as the unstable version

Roger Luethi rl at patchworkscience.org
Sun Jun 22 21:37:53 UTC 2014

On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 14:36:19 -0500, Anne Gentle wrote:
> I hadn't tried blocking with robots.txt, here's our current copy:
>
> https://github.com/openstack/openstack-manuals/blob/master/www/robots.txt
>
> What didn't work is eliminating it from our custom search engine.
>
> I think we have seen evidence of users linking to whatever they want to
> despite our careful efforts. :)

True, you can't prevent linking, but there is a similar risk from links to
outdated documentation. Maybe we should color-code releases and have
matching themes for the documentation, or have somebody paint distinct
logos (at least Grizzly and Icehouse would be easy <g>) that we can stamp
on every page.

By the way, you could check the HTTP referer logs if you want to know
how users get (mis-)directed into trunk.

Roger