[Openstack-docs] Installation and configuration section structure

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Thu Jun 12 16:46:55 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Matt Kassawara <mkassawara at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Makes sense! However, I think services other than neutron need some
> restructuring (mostly reordering of steps) to improve flow. For example,
> the nova controller steps bounce around between prerequisites and editing
> configuration files. We should first provide all of the prerequisites, then
> install packages and configure the service, and finally verify
> functionality (when applicable).

Yes, this sort of change sounds reasonable.

> I suspect much of this "jumbling" came as a side-effect of integrating
> tools such as openstack-config and openstack-db with generic editing of
> configuration files. Removal of these tools should help us provide a
> consistent structure among services for all distributions.

Agreed.

> For the installation guide improvements project, we should evaluate the
> complexity of each service to determine if multiple procedures improve the
> flow of installation/configuration.

Mostly my sense of the feedback from readers is "tell me what goes on which
node" so any improvement in that way is welcomed. My concern was that you
were chasing consistency for the sake of it.

Keystone appears to work with one procedure for installation/configuration,