[Openstack-docs] Training Guides becoming a project in its own right?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jun 10 02:35:10 UTC 2014

On 2014-06-09 21:03:53 -0500 (-0500), Anne Gentle wrote:
[...]
> Is the training manuals example the first time a project has
> joined an existing program?

Not at all, but they also didn't publish their project documentation
to an official site while hosted in StackForge.

> We are not wanting a new program but to incubate a new project.
[...]

Where I think this gets hairy is that the current proposal is to
take material which was governed by an official program, spin it off
to a separate StackForge project (which so far we've taken to mean
no longer governed by an official program/the TC), but otherwise
treat it like an official project by not forcing it to relocate its
documentation elsewhere (RTFD, et cetera). If the training manual
had not originated within the official manuals repository prior to
developing on StackForge, where would you have counseled them to
look into publishing their material while they worked on readiness
for official support?

Conversely, there is nothing in our current policies which would
prevent a project under incubation within an official program from
having its Git repository called openstack/something (and in fact we
seem to generally encourage it).

I think which we do depends on whether "incubation" to you means "a
project trying to get recognized by the program but currently a
completely independent effort" or "a project which is in a
probationary period under the governance of a program while it is
considered for official support." The former, to me is something
which would be developed in StackForge and published to RTFD or some
other unofficial site, while the latter would be developed within
OpenStack under the policies set forth by the project and could
publish documentation on OpenStack sites (where and the degree to
which they're marked as supported being entirely negotiable).
--
Jeremy Stanley