[Openstack-docs] identity-api: Building broken

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Mon Jul 28 21:36:45 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Jorge Williams <
jorge.williams at rackspace.com> wrote:

> Maybe we need to rethink our model.  Rather than reaching directly to a
> HTTP URI in github, we can instead list the WADL as a dependency in maven.
>  Should be possible, we can tar up the api-ref project, have a deployment
> that stores it somewhere — maybe maven central…then when we build our docs
> we download and extract the correct version and tie everything together.

I've talked about that before with David Cramer when working through a
content sharing blueprint. We have a blueprint [1] [2] we worked on. I
recently marked it Obsolete for a few reasons:
- We have a reliable HTTP URI from git.openstack.org (we don't rely on
github)
- We haven't had a lot of multiple-collaboration scenarios on API docs
(Diane has been our go-to for a long time [3])
- We aren't seeing much upstream contribution work from cloud providers on
API docs

So I'd prefer we don't try to engineer this solution. Really I'd prefer
that we stop building and publishing documents from the <servicename>-api
repos for a couple of reasons:
- We had agreement two summits ago to stop storing those sources in
separate repos
- There's a serious bug with the <servicename>-api output where it doesn't
show all the parameters for each call. [4]

With all the difficulty we're seeing, I think this is a symptom of a wider
problem and we should try to find a simpler way to maintain API docs. Any
other thoughts?

Anne

1. https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/ContentSharing
2.