[Openstack-docs] docs.openstack.org file management

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Wed Jul 9 17:18:21 UTC 2014

Hi all,
Andreas kindly attended yesterday's infrastructure meeting to follow up on  the
Atlanta summit session:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/summit-b301-ci-doc-automation We talked
about how to enable deletions of renamed or outdated content. We're trying
to take more steps towards addressing the long standing bug about outdated
pages. [1]

The docs.openstack.org site is currently hosted on Rackspace's Cloud Sites
platform. It handles about 2.5 million unique page views a day for us now.
These are the features it offers. (I realize these are most just
service-level agreements.)

   1. Hourly and daily snapshots of web content itself (not the whole
   server) stored in a .snapshot directory, retained for 2 days.
   2. Additional back up of the server itself for disaster recovery.
   3. No downtime for maintenance work.
   4. Security patches and upgrades.
   5. App upgrades when needed (not a need now for us).
   6. Server operating system upgrades when needed.
   7. Load balancing configured and maintained.
   8. Phone-based support when something goes wrong.

Right now, there's no need for a CMS or search app -- just file serving,
backing up of the files, load balancing and the ability to automate more
deletions when a file name is changed due to the build output changing
(such as when an XML:ID is renamed).

I wanted to let you all know about the effort so you can think of any thing
we may be missing here. The infra team is doing their mid-cycle meetup next
week, so please respond by Friday 7/11.

1. https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1191447