[Openstack-docs] Glossary usage in manuals

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Sun Jan 19 11:15:21 UTC 2014

On 01/14/2014 10:26 PM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> I had some discussion with Diane and David about glossary usage and
> summarize my understanding and a proposal here.
>
> We have a great glossary (see
> http://docs.openstack.org/glossary/content/glossary.html)  and only the
> Security Guide uses it to produce some entries:
> http://docs.openstack.org/security-guide/content/go01.html
>
> We use in some places firstterm which is related to the glossary but
> does not use it. I propose that we should not use firstterm at all and
> use glossterm and include a glossary.
>
> I'd also like to investigate a nice Rackspace maven plug-in that allows
> to use HTML popups for Glossary definitions.
>
> We can add the glossary to each book we build - either the complete
> glossary or just the entries that use "glossterm" in the guide.
>
> My proposal is to make better use of the great glossary we have and thus:
> * Deprecate firstterm usage, ask for glossterm
> * Add glossterm to some terms
> * Add the glossary to our manuals
> * Display as glossary only the entries that are in the documented
> * Evaluate the Rackspace glossary plug-in

Documented now at
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Conventions#Glossary

Patch for the Install Guide at:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/66913/

This currently only generates entries in the HTML file, I have not
figured out why it fails for PDF. Any help on fixing this is welcome.
Once that is solved, let's add it.

You can already tag entries with glossterm with your edits,