[Openstack-docs] Adding docs questions to user survey

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Fri Jan 17 01:48:59 UTC 2014

Hi all,
Everett Towes has started a nice thread about adding specific questions to
the user survey, so I wanted to get input on adding these specific
questions about docs to the user survey.

I used these questions about API docs in an internal-to-Rackspace survey
and I think they'll transfer well to the end-user audience.

1. What is your number one top priority in evaluating API and SDK docs as a
consumer of them? Rank first and second only.
Accuracy
Proof that it's reviewed or tested
Quality
Professional polish and editing
Meeting end-user needs
Consistency
Timely updates
Clear feedback channel
Uses a formatting standard correct for the language
I don't consume them

2. What are the most valuable features of the current OpenStack API docs?

Ability to comment
Storing source in Github (so that I can collaborate on docs)
Review workflow that enables edits to be approved
Syntax highlighting for code samples
Look and feel
Support for translations
Multiple outputs (PDF, HTML, ebook)

3. What do the current OpenStack API docs lack?

Well-organized content across projects
Intuitive editing workflow
Stability, reliable output processing
Search functionality
Ease of incorporating working tested samples
Low or no cost licensing of tool chain
Community collaboration
Automation

Once we have a set of questions we like, I'll send to the user-committe
mailing list.

If you think we should focus on deployer docs as "users" also let us know.
I would guess we would get 2-3 questions max so we'll have to prioritize.