[Openstack-docs] Copyright statements in docs source files

Rich Bowen rbowen at redhat.com
Wed Jan 15 01:15:03 UTC 2014

On 01/14/2014 05:28 PM, Colin McNamara wrote:
> Rich, let me take another real world use case.
>
> First, let me reiterate. Stating copyright is for the protection of
> the individual developer as well as the corporations contributing. It
> elevates visibility of who owns copyright.

> *Real world use case - Aptira and Training-Guides*
>
> Sean and I started a project within Docs a while back. This goals of
> this project is to provide Open Source training materials to the
> community. To achieve these goal we used a mix of content included
> within OpenStack documentation. About halfway through the effort, one
> of the guides that we used for a large amount of content got
> refactored, forcing us to pivot.
>
> Aptira had been participating significantly at that point, and had
> *contributed their own training programs to the effort. *That
> corporate contribution of significant content was key to
> training-guides moving forward. Without a clear a and concise
> copyright I don’t think it would have been possible.
>
> Either way, I feel like we are debating a philosophy point vs the
> legal question that was posed earlier. The action that comes out of
> this discussion is both guidance from the foundations legal council
> and the opportunity for someone to submit a talk exploring these items.

I posted the initial email, and it was a matter of philosophy, not of
law, from the beginning. So, yes, I hope we are debating philosophy.
This was never posed as a legal question. I know how the legalities of
it work, and they don't depend, even a little bit, on a in-file
copyright statement. You retain copyright whether or not you state this
in the .rst file. That's what the Berne Convention says. (Individual
jurisdictions vary on years that you have that and other details.
Presumably by the time that it expires, anywhere, this particular
content will have expired too.)

I don't understand how your example supports putting copyright
statements in the rst files. You have a clear and concise copyright
without having your name in the .rst file. It comes from your
contributor license agreement with the OpenStack foundation, and the
history provided by the git logs.

Perhaps I've been unclear. My complaint is not with you holding
copyright - you hold that copyright, by international law, regardless of
what I or anyone else says. My complaint is with a name in a file, which
demonstrably contributes to reluctance of new contributors to make
changes. The "visibility of who owns copyright" makes contributors feel
that they don't have the right to pitch in. I've heard this from newbie
contributors, on a dozen projects, for 15 years.

To be clearer, I don't believe that raising the visibility of a
particular contributor or company should be a goal of any Open Source
project. It's not about you or me, it's about the community and the
project. You want visibility, point to the the Stackalytics site. They
have awesome stats there. Or point to the output of 'git blame'. Indeed,
whenever it becomes about raising the visibility of a contributor, the
whole project suffers, and it becomes harder, not easier, for new folks
to enter the project.

When you contribute that file, you no longer "own" it, even though you
have copyright to portions of it. If you want to "own" it, then don't
contribute it to an Open Source project. Again, I'm not talking about
legalities, I'm talking about philosophy and the *spirit* of Open
Source. Sure, legally you might still "own" it in some sense, but if
that's what you care about, why are you contributing it?

So, I ask again, copyright "protects" from what/whom exactly? In the
example you gave, what "protection" did it give you? And, specifically,
what protection did it give you that it would not have given you,
equally, without your name in the .rst file?

I have considerable experience, myself, with contributing copyrighted
content to Open Source projects. In particular, I contributed large
portions of my books and company training materials to the Apache httpd
documentation. My name isn't in any of those documents, which hasn't
hurt the sales of my books, nor did it hurt the sales of my training
classes when I was doing that full-time. Nor did it result in my
forfeiting my copyright. I still retain copyright on those
contributions, but now that they have been modified by dozens of other
people it wouldn't be reasonable for me to assert ownership of any of
that content - it's a collaborative work now ... as is the example that
you cited.

Rich Bowen - rbowen at redhat.com
OpenStack Community Liaison
http://openstack.redhat.com/