[Openstack-docs] [Doc] What's Up Doc? Jan 10 2014

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Fri Jan 10 21:35:25 UTC 2014

Happy new year everyone. We're hitting the books with a vengeance in 2014.
See my 2013 roundup at
http://www.openstack.org/blog/2014/01/openstack-documentation-wrap-up-for-2013/
.

1. In review and merged this past week:

I'm pleased to announce a refresh on the API Reference listing page thanks
to Racker Ken Perkins. He removed a ton of cruft and made the site work
well on mobile devices. Check it out at
http://api.openstack.org/api-ref-compute.html from your smart phone even!

2. High priority doc work:

No more backports to stable/havana after this week, so our highest priority
is icehouse. A few contributors are chomping at the bit to get started on
the icehouse installation doc. All hands welcomed in the next month or so.

3. Doc work going on that I know of:

Shaun is working to get the autodoc tables generated for all the projects
and completed cinder and nova this week with neutron in the review queue.
Thanks Shaun!

For the Operations Guide updates, Joe Topjian and I have addressed the
first round of comments from our O'Reilly editor. We expect the remaining
edits back from our editor by the middle of next week. Jan 23 and 24th are
going to be sprint days on this book.

4. New incoming doc requests:

We're considering a new networking-only guide that would describe OpenStack
networking options in a standalone guide. This information is especially
important as a decision about nova-network looms. Please chime in on the
thread at
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-docs/2014-January/003575.htmlto
encourage the creation of this standalone guide.

I had a couple of good questions about DocImpact this week so I thought I'd
offer some guidance. Use DocImpact when a config setting changes, even
though our autodoc tool will pick up the docstring changes, so that the doc
team can determine whether further info is needed for configuration pros.
You can get a pass on using a DocImpact flag if your change affects
contributors only, and you put an RST change in with the patch. Otherwise,
no free pass on DocImpact! Thanks to reviewers who are helping encourage
better use of this flag and enhanced commit messages.

5. Doc tools updates:

We released a new version of the clouddocs-maven-plugin this week to get
two enhancements to the API reference page, improved responsive HTML and
PDF output as well as bug fixes. I have to say, this new look is AMAZING.
Thank you Ken Perkins for the updates, what a difference it makes. The
README gives the details at
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/stackforge/clouddocs-maven-plugin/tree/README.rst
.

The openstack-doc-tools now has a 0.2 release. This repo contains our
tests, autodoc tool, and schema test for docbook. Thank you Andreas for the
dedicated efforts here!

6. Other doc news:

I can't think of anything else to report so I'll close out here!