[Openstack-docs] Cinder and sql_connect/connection

Matt Kassawara mkassawara at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 14:40:57 UTC 2014

On at least Ubuntu and RHEL variants, placing "connection" in the
[database] section of cinder.conf appears to work.  However, the
base/sample cinder.conf on both distributions lacks the [database] section.
 The Ubuntu version is particularly sparse.

For Ubuntu, a previous patch to the installation guide merely moved
"sql_connection" to the [database] section which isn't supported.  For RHEL
variants, apparently the "openstack-config" command breaks because it can't
find the [database] section and won't create it.  The Havana release of
Cinder still supports the legacy "sql_connection" in the [default] section
in both distributions.  We could revert the installation guides to use this
legacy configuration, but it would add an extra step for the upgrade
procedure to Icehouse.

For Ubuntu, I suggest we use the modern configuration with "connection" in
the [database] section and tell people to create the [database] header if
it doesn't exist.  For RHEL variants, I suggest we mention editing
cinder.conf to add the [database] header before using the
"openstack-config" command with "connection" in the [database] section.  On
a side note, I'm also thinking that "openstack-config" should support
creation of section headers.

Andreas - Do you know what SUSE supports in cinder.conf?