[Openstack-docs] Cinder and sql_connect/connection

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Fri Jan 10 12:10:06 UTC 2014

One thing that caused many bug reports in the guide, is the usage of
connection in cinder. It moved during Havana development from
sql_connection in DEFAULT section to connection in database section but
the cinder.conf file was not properly regenerated.

And some people had problems with setting connection like:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1245880

And thus a patch was added (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/63301/) and
backported that changed some places to use connection but did not update
everything - and now we get bug reports about this brokenness. I just
marked another bug as duplicate and thus decided to write this to find a
solution.

For Icehouse, we should document the "connection" variant since this
just got fixed in cinder.conf - and those revert the patch

For the Havana version of the install guide, we have two options:
* Use sql_connection in DEFAULT and cleanup the documentation.
* Revert the broken patch and use connection for all distributions

Bug report about cinder at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/cinder/+bug/1260322

this was just approved for fixing:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/61736/

I'm now going to send a reversal patch for 63301 for the master branch.

But I'd like to know what to do about Havana:
Revert - or update as well?

Chandan, will you take care of Havana? The bug is currently assigned to you,