[Openstack-docs] Report on openstack-doc-tools state

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Sun Jan 5 18:37:59 UTC 2014

I'd like to give a short update about the state of openstack-doc-tools.
I've been concentrating on getting the repo setup to follow the
OpenStack python conventions and use it for gating.

Anne has tagged last week version 0.1 of the tool and you can already
use it for running the checks yourself for api-site, operations-guide
and openstack-manuals.

I've done a couple of enhancements to openstack-doc-tools and once my
pending patches are in, I'd like to see a 0.2 version:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/64993/
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/64995/
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/64970/

Running the updated tool on the other API projects was an easy task. I
found a couple of problems and have fixed some and others have been
fixed by Diane.

Here's a high-level list of the state of the various API repositories:

Waiting for patches to merge:
* volume-api (tox patch sent, XML patches sent):
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/64991/
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/64992/
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/64979/
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/64463/

* netconn-api (XML patch sent, waiting for this bug to be fixed:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-api-site/+bug/1264347)
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/64908/

* compute-api (XML patches sent - I propose to ignore
  openstack-compute-api-1.0 and incubation dirs for building)
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/64827/

Repos in excellent shape with minor things to cleanup:
* object-api (niceness patch sent, missing: tox setup, gate):
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/65001/

* image-api (missing: tox setup, gate)

* identity-api (missing tox setup, gate; v3 API currently not handled
  for building)

* api-site (gate sent, minor patches in queue)
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/64990/
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/64846/

I'll document later a bit more how all of this works.

Gate setup:
niceness gate for operations-guide: If this works fine, I'll convert
operations-guide and openstack-manuals to follow the api-site gates:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/64567/

gates for api-site:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/64795/

Once all of these are in, we can add gates for the API projects as well.

If you like to run the gates locally: Install the python tox package and
run ``tox`` from the top-level directory to use the same tests that are
done as part of our Jenkins gating jobs.

If you like to run individual tests, run:
* ``tox -e checkniceness`` - to run the niceness tests
* ``tox -e checksyntax`` - to run syntax checks
* ``tox -e checkdeletions`` - to check that no deleted files are referenced
* ``tox -e checkbuild`` - to actually build the manual

tox will use the `openstack-doc-tools package
<https://github.com/openstack/openstack-doc-tools>`_ for execution of
these tests. openstack-doc-tools has a requirement on maven for the
build check.

If you like to help, I would especially welcome them in these areas:
* Look at the packaging (python) and improve it
* Take care of the flag auto generation
* Testing of tools
* Reviewing of patches

Thanks to Anne, Diane, Clark and Jeremy for all their help and moving
this forward - and to everybody else that reviewed and approved patches!