[Openstack-docs] Auto-generating Ceilometer documentation.

Cyril Roelandt cyril.roelandt at enovance.com
Fri Jan 3 13:27:15 UTC 2014

On 12/20/2013 04:17 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Cyril Roelandt <cyril.roelandt at enovance.com
>> wrote:
>
>> On 11/28/2013 09:33 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:
>>
>>> Cyril, I think you would build the WADL with the Sphinx extension as a
>>> Jenkins job, triggered when the Ceilometer gets an update. Then automate
>>> the patch proposal to the api-site similar to how translation jobs work. A
>>> human can then review the api-site patch (also similar to how translation
>>> jobs work). I'd rather not automate beyond creating the patch as we still
>>> want to review wording, meaning, and so on.
>>>

>> Hello Anne,
>>
>> Seems like the patch that adds a WADL target to Ceilometer's build system (
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/57574/) should be merged quite soon.
>> I'll then need to write that Jenkins job. Do you know where I could submit
>> code to do that ? I'm new to Jenkins and the whole OpenStack infrastructure
>> :)
>>

> Hi Cyril,

Hi Anne,

> The place where doc jobs are created is in a yaml file in the
> openstack-infra/config repository.
>
> The manuals.yaml and api-jobs.yaml contains the build jobs for the docs
> we're talking about
>
> modules/openstack_project/files/jenkins_job_builder/config/api-jobs.yaml<https://review.openstack.org/#/c/59556/1/modules/openstack_project/files/jenkins_job_builder/config/api-jobs.yaml>
>
> and the layout.yaml contains calls to those named build jobs.
>
> modules/openstack_project/files/zuul/layout.yaml<https://review.openstack.org/#/c/58313/1/modules/openstack_project/files/zuul/layout.yaml>

OK. So, I'm thinking of adding a job in api-jobs.yaml that would just
call a shell script in modules/jenkins/files/slave_scripts/ . This
script would build the documentation, compare it to the existing doc,
and send me an email with the diff if they are not the same, so that I
can manually review it and submit it if necessary. Do you think there is
a sendmail properly configured on the Jenkins slaves ? I'd probably just
need to be able to do something as simple as "mail -s 'Doc changed!'
foo at example.com".

Thanks!
Cyril.