[Openstack-docs] Install Guide

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Fri Feb 21 08:20:41 UTC 2014

On 02/20/2014 11:59 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:
> There's a docs group working on the Icehouse install instructions, and
> they're working towards simplifying for easier maintenance. One idea
> they came up with is manually editing the config files for all distros
> (Ubuntu, RHEL, Debian, etc.) but then also including an appendix for
> debconf and openstack-config instructions.
>
> As you know, maintenance is tough with all the conditionals in the
> guide, so we wanted to see if we're okay with manual edits in the main
> portion, but moving ch_debconf.xml to an appendix and referring to it
> throughout.

As I wrote to you off-list, I think it's a bad idea, because we need to
push users to read that chapter first. Pushing it to the Appendix will
be counter-productive.

More over, I will soon add new stuff in this chapter, explaining how to
do a setup using the preseeder script "openstack-deploy", which is able
to deploy a full all-in-one openstack node, or a controler + compute
nodes. It wouldn't make sense to push this to the appendix, and it would
be much better to have it at the beginning of the doc, so that newbies
can try that first, before deploying each component by hand.

Your thoughts are welcome,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)