[Openstack-docs] Conventions on naming

Anne Gentle anne.gentle at rackspace.com
Tue Feb 4 22:24:44 UTC 2014

Hi all,
Based on today's Technical Committee meeting and conversations with the
OpenStack board members, I need to change our Conventions for service names
at
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Conventions#Service_and_project_names
.

Previously we have indicated that Ceilometer could be named OpenStack
Telemetry and Heat could be named OpenStack Orchestration. That's not the
case, and we need to change those names.

To quote the TC meeting, ceilometer and heat are "other modules" (second
sentence from 4.1 in
http://www.openstack.org/legal/bylaws-of-the-openstack-foundation/)
distributed with the Core OpenStack Project.

Here's what I intend to change the wiki page to:
 Here's the list of project and module names and their official names and
capitalization:

Ceilometer module
Cinder: OpenStack Block Storage
Glance: OpenStack Image Service
Heat module
Horizon: OpenStack dashboard
Keystone: OpenStack Identity Service
Neutron: OpenStack Networking
Nova: OpenStack Compute
Swift: OpenStack Object Storage

I'll also add trove which is moving to integrated in the Icehouse release.
It'll be the Trove module because of the wording from the bylaws, "The
other modules which are part of the OpenStack Project, but not the Core
OpenStack Project may not be identified using the OpenStack trademark
except when distributed with the Core OpenStack Project."

Please let me know if this will cause more confusion (I'm sure it will) and
how to give guidance for revisions.

Yes, we also need to backport to stable/havana for the Install Guide and
Config Ref and republish. It's important to protect the OpenStack mark and
brand.