[OpenStack-docs] DVR network traffic flow details

Matt Kassawara mkassawara at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 02:05:40 UTC 2014

Swami/Edgar,

I see three distinct traffic flows with DVR:

1) North-south for instances without a floating IP.
2) North-south for instances with a floating IP.
3) East-west for instances with or without a floating IP.

I drew a diagrams for each flow that includes the primary components and
their connections. For simplicity (and space considerations), I left out
components that don't directly apply to DVR (such as metadata).

I also wrote a series of steps describing flow #1 in detail without getting
too technical. However, I'm not exactly sure about our target audience. I
would expect them to know enough about networking and neutron (perhaps from
other parts of the networking guide) prior to attempting DVR, but perhaps
not enough to understand tables and flows in Open vSwitch. How much detail
should we provide?

I would appreciate if someone could review the diagrams for all flows and
the steps describing flow #1 and provide feedback/corrections. In the
interest of time, can someone also provide the steps describing flows #2
and #3 so I don't have to reverse-engineer them too? You can follow my
level of detail in flow #1 or suggest something with more or less detail
based on the target audience.

Ideally, I would like to submit most if not all of this content by the end
of this week for inclusion into the official networking guide. I already
came across several people who stumbled upon it via search engines and
successfully deployed DVR in a test environment, so at least the
configuration works.

https://github.com/ionosphere80/openstack-networking-guide/blob/master/scenario-dvr/scenario-dvr.md

Matt