[Openstack-docs] Updates on the Security Guide

Bryan D. Payne bdpayne at acm.org
Fri Aug 22 18:14:17 UTC 2014

Over the past couple of months we have renewed our momentum on the
OpenStack Security Guide (http://docs.openstack.org/sec/). Along with this
has come some logistics changes and some new plans for the guide. I wanted
to take a brief moment to update everyone on this work.

At a high level, we are pushing ahead on two paths in parallel: (1)
cleaning up the book through improved organization, presentation clarity,
and grammatical or spelling corrections; (2) setting the course for longer
term book improvements and release cycles. To help facilitate some of these
goals, we have also made some logistical changes.

Book cleanup: The OpenStack Security Group (OSSG) has enlisted the help of
many new contributors to review portions of the book and file bug reports.
 At a recent mid-cycle meet up, we filed 50+ bugs against the book.  We
have also been training new contributors on how to fix these bugs by
walking through the gerrit change request process. We have already resolved
many of these bugs, but plenty remain. This is a great opportunity for new
contributors to step in and help out! We would still appreciate more eyes
to review the book and file bugs. And we'd appreciate people working to
close the bugs, too.

Future directions: I'm organizing a small group of contributors that will
work together to set the future directions for the book effort. I am aiming
for this group to act as a steering committee for the book. We will be
considering issues such as the release cycle, major content areas that are
missing, and overall management of the project. If you are interested in
being involved at this level, please contact me directly.

Logistics: The book recently moved to a new git repository:
https://github.com/openstack/security-doc. This was done, in part, to
simplify the integration of some related security documentation efforts
with the book including the OpenStack Security Notes and OSSG's threat
modeling work. Along with this move, we formalized the approval process for
changes to the book. All changes much receive a +2 from one of the
documentation team members assigned to the project (Andreas Jaeger, Christian
Berendt, and Anne Gentle) and a +2 from one of the OSSG members assigned to
the project (Bryan Payne, Nathan Kinder, and Rob Clark). This is aimed to
maintain high standards from both a documentation and a security
perspective.

We're excited to see things moving ahead with this project, and new
contributors are certainly always welcome!

Cheers,
-bryan