[Openstack-docs] change in ceilometer.conf sample file

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Fri Apr 25 18:00:00 UTC 2014

Thanks Eoghan. I figured you'd be able to get us close. Just clarifying
some more below.

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:44 PM, Eoghan Glynn <eglynn at redhat.com> wrote:

> OK, let me give some context/background here.
>
> Prior to late in the Icehouse cycle (i.e. Mar 26) we had used the
> check_uptodate script to ensure that a statically checked-in sample
> .conf file was up-to-date with respect to the code-level descriptions
> of these config options.
>
> This caused recurrent problems in CI, so as temporary work-around we
> disabled this check so as to unblock the gate.
>
> However there was then no guarantee that reality wouldn't slowly
> diverge from the static .conf sample, so early in Juno (Apr 18) we
> decided to follow nova's lead and also remove the static in-tree
> sample, in favor of re-generating on the fly.
>
> In the meantime, there has been a lot of churn in config caused mainly
> by:
>
> 1. a new keystoneclient release, which seems to include lots of
>    white-space/docstr related changes to the generated config
>
> 2. landing the oslo-messaging switch-over in ceilometer, which
>    deprecates all the old common RPC config options
>
> So of the 3 attachments:
>
> > Version before it disappeared in the ceilometer project:
> > ceilometer.conf.sample-5995bf906cea07e69
>
> This is a snapshot in time, which was correct on Apr 18 but has
> since been superceeded.
>
> > The one I generated from ceilometer master (April 23):
> > ceilometer.conf.sample-rl-gen
>
> This is less out-of-date, but should be re-generated from master
> as of today.
>
> > Your version that I found in openstack-manuals:
> > ceilometer.conf-manuals
>
> This is quite stale, as it seems to predate the landing of the
> oslo-messaging switchover.
>
> Note that I'm assuming all along that the docco should be based on
> master, as opposed to being in lockstep with the last release (i.e.
> the icehouse final tag).

Right, we want to be lockstep in our master, but we also need a frozen
version from stable/icehouse for our stable/icehouse branch. Is it correct
to generate from ceilometer stable/icehouse in order to get the
frozen-in-time version?