[Openstack-docs] compute-api: Job compute-api-v2.0-wadl failing

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Mon Apr 21 20:48:27 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 2:53 PM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:

> On 04/21/2014 08:05 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 12:35 PM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com
> > <mailto:aj at suse.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     I noticed that the compute-api-v2.0-wadl jobs fails:
> >

> http://logs.openstack.org/15/15252671f266c9aacc0684fb027bc9de6e05b131/post/compute-api-v2.0-wadl/14e6889/console.html
> >
> >     Looking at the job, it copies the wadl file over to
> >     docs.openstack.org <http://docs.openstack.org>.
> >     Is this really needed? If yes, could somebody explain what's going on
> >     here, please?
> >
> > Sure, it's from a request to the mailing list back in
> > 2012: http://markmail.org/message/yex65zp6iz6qwser
> >
> > The use case is that we serve out accurate links in the version details
> > response from the compute API calls.
> >
> > So yep, we need the job to work. XSDs also are copied.
>
> There's not anymore a wadl in the compute-api repository at all.
> Instead, copmute-api imports
>
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/api-site/plain/api-ref/src/wadls/compute-api/src/v2/wadl/os-compute-2.wadl
> .
>
> And the other links in nova like
> http://docs.openstack.org/api/openstack-compute/2/os-compute-devguide-2.pdf
> are also not really working - that document was last updated 30th May 2012.
>
> This all needs some rework, I've filed a bug now:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-api-site/+bug/1310766
>
> Btw. is this only done for nova - or also for other projects?

The Compute API was the only one that had the request. At the time there
were only three APIs, Compute, Object Storage, and Image Service. The
Object Storage API did not offer a /versions/ response, nor did the Image
Service API.

Looking at the API reference list, still Compute API is the only API with a
/versions/ call. It appears that the versions response does not contain a
doc link any more. But I can't find when that stopped happening, and I
suspect it was around the Essex timeframe. Or possibly the response changed
between 1.1 and 2.0. Since there are still clouds using Essex, those users
may still rely on the doc link in the versions response.

Thanks for asking -- caused me to do some digging. Does my conclusion to
keep it sound correct? We can look at the user survey data for when Essex
is truly gone, but I have a feeling it's still deployed out there.