[Openstack-docs] License of manuals?

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Mon Sep 30 13:55:26 UTC 2013

On 09/30/2013 03:47 PM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> On 09/30/2013 03:32 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 4:12 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com
>> <mailto:aj at suse.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Looking at the license of our manuals, I'm a bit confused.
>>
>>     For example
>>     http://docs.openstack.org/grizzly/openstack-compute/admin/content/ and
>>     http://docs.openstack.org/admin-guide-cloud/content/ both have Apache
>>     License and a Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 3.0 License but
>>     the wording suggests to me that the Apache License is the one to use
>>     (correct?).
>>
>>     Newer manuals like the user-guide only have the Creative Commons:
>>     Image Guide:
>>     http://docs.openstack.org/image-guide/content/
>>     End User Guide:
>>     http://docs.openstack.org/user-guide/content/
>>
>>     Is this really the right license - or was that done by accident?
>>     If the CC license is correct, will it work when we import content via
>>     the autodocs from other OpenStack projects?
>>

>> Here's what I know.
>>
>> You can apply Apache 2.0 to code easily, but it's harder to apply to
>> docs exactly. We do apply a blanket Apache 2.0 statement for our
>> documentation, but we have also brought in content that was licensed
>> CC-BY-SA 3.0.
>>
>> At a OpenStack Foundation Board Meeting October 2012 we successfully had
>> the board approve use of CC-BY 3.0 for all documentation contributions.
>> Here are the official minutes.
>>
>>  https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Foundation/15Oct2012BoardMinutes#Approval_of_the_CCBY_License_for_Documentation
>>
>> So the docbook bk files can be updated to
>> use http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/us/ -- however I haven't
>> investigated whether the tool chain enables cc-by instead of cc-by-sa. I
>> think some action items we can take now are:
>>
>> 1. Determine if cc-by is a viable option in the book file by testing the
>> maven plugin.
>
> I checked the sources, it should work.
>
> The End User Guid is already under cc-by - and looking at
> http://docs.openstack.org/user-guide/content/ this works fine.
>
>> 2. Patch the books that were created after Oct 2012 with cc-by in the
>> book file, such as the Image Guide, End User Guide, and Admin User Guide.
>
> I'll send a patch in a few minutes.

I'll do:

Remove:
admin-guide-cloud        <legalnotice role="apache2">

Change to cc-by (the guide had both licenses):
bk-admin-guide-cloud.xml:        <legalnotice role="cc-by-sa">

Keep for now:
bk-config-ref.xml:        <legalnotice role="apache2">
bk_openstackinstallguide.xml:        <legalnotice role="apache2">

No change needed:
bk-imageguide.xml:        <legalnotice role="cc-by">
bk_openstack-sec-guide.xml:        <legalnotice role="cc-by">
bk-admin-user-guide.xml:        <legalnotice role="cc-by">
bk-user-guide.xml:        <legalnotice role="cc-by">