[Openstack-docs] License of manuals?

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Mon Sep 30 13:32:24 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 4:12 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:

> Looking at the license of our manuals, I'm a bit confused.
>
> For example
> http://docs.openstack.org/grizzly/openstack-compute/admin/content/ and
> http://docs.openstack.org/admin-guide-cloud/content/ both have Apache
> License and a Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 3.0 License but
> the wording suggests to me that the Apache License is the one to use
> (correct?).
>
> Newer manuals like the user-guide only have the Creative Commons:
> Image Guide:
> http://docs.openstack.org/image-guide/content/
> End User Guide:
> http://docs.openstack.org/user-guide/content/
>
> Is this really the right license - or was that done by accident?
> If the CC license is correct, will it work when we import content via
> the autodocs from other OpenStack projects?

Here's what I know.

You can apply Apache 2.0 to code easily, but it's harder to apply to docs
exactly. We do apply a blanket Apache 2.0 statement for our documentation,
but we have also brought in content that was licensed CC-BY-SA 3.0.

At a OpenStack Foundation Board Meeting October 2012 we successfully had
the board approve use of CC-BY 3.0 for all documentation contributions.
Here are the official minutes.

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Foundation/15Oct2012BoardMinutes#Approval_of_the_CCBY_License_for_Documentation

So the docbook bk files can be updated to use
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/us/ -- however I haven't
investigated whether the tool chain enables cc-by instead of cc-by-sa. I
think some action items we can take now are:

1. Determine if cc-by is a viable option in the book file by testing the
maven plugin.
2. Patch the books that were created after Oct 2012 with cc-by in the book
file, such as the Image Guide, End User Guide, and Admin User Guide.

For books that were created with Apache 2.0 licensed content, the idea is
that the CC-BY license most closely matches that license. However I'd like
to get legal advice on the best way forward for those guides. Does anyone
want to contact the Foundation to ask for legal advice here? I can do it
but would like to ask for a volunteer first.

> Andreas
> --
>  Andreas Jaeger aj@{suse.com,opensuse.org} Twitter/Identica: jaegerandi
>   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
>    GF: Jeff Hawn,Jennifer Guild,Felix Imendörffer,HRB16746 (AG Nürnberg)
>     GPG fingerprint = 93A3 365E CE47 B889 DF7F  FED1 389A 563C C272 A126

Anne Gentle
annegentle at justwriteclick.com