[Openstack-docs] Continous publishing and handling multiple releases

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Mon Sep 16 21:50:55 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Great questions Andreas. Here's my thinking.

Based on https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Releases, we support 2 releases at
any given time. Right now that's Grizzly and Folsom. On Oct. 17th that'll
be Grizzly and Havana. So for "continuous release" documents, ensure that
Grizzly and Havana are covered.

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:

> If we publish a book continously, which releases should it cover?
>
> Two examples triggered this question:
> In https://review.openstack.org/#/c/46626/ I've added a note that a
> section is not relevant with Havana anymore - but relevant with older
> releases.

I'll comment on the review as well but I think we should cover Grizzly and
Havana in the master branch right now. Thing is, people can still get to
Grizzly docs for admin guides, so they'll have Grizzly guidance. So it's
also possible we should only document Havana right now.

> Looking at https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1205060, we
> now have a couple of variables moved from [DEFAULT] to [database] with
> the Havana release. How should this be documented?

Should we just document in both cases Havana - or do we take care of
> documenting both releases? And for which books does this apply?

Yeah I've been eyeing that bug sideways for a while now. I think we have to
document Havana and let the Grizzly docs cover the "old" case. What do you
think?

> For the books we branch off (Install Guides, Configuration Reference),
> we should only document Havana - the rest is the question where I feel
> unsure on policy,

I've been having a small debate on whether to create a new "continuously
published" repo and never branch it. What do you think?

Thanks for asking these questions, helps me think clearly.

Anne

> Andreas
> --
>  Andreas Jaeger aj@{suse.com,opensuse.org} Twitter/Identica: jaegerandi
>   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
>    GF: Jeff Hawn,Jennifer Guild,Felix Imendörffer,HRB16746 (AG Nürnberg)
>     GPG fingerprint = 93A3 365E CE47 B889 DF7F  FED1 389A 563C C272 A126

Anne Gentle
annegentle at justwriteclick.com