[Openstack-docs] URLs for manuals - and continuous publishing

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Wed Sep 11 19:02:43 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:

> Figuring out the links for the trunk/index.html page, I noticed that I
> did not understand the concept behind the URLs and therefore write this
> email to get it clarified.
>
> I've put a table at:
>
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av4RECzUQXqzdFRuTDBkNDFqQWVyM2FPWV9wMU5zcGc&usp=sharing
>
> Feel free to comment on it and if you like write access, please ping me.
>
> Is my information correct regarding continuous publishing of guides -
> and those that we make dependent on a specific release?
>
> My understanding of continuous publishing is that a guide can be used
> for several releases and gets updated regularly. Anne, is that yours as
> well?

Yes, that's accurate.

> My questions are:
> * Shouldn't we remove /trunk from the URL of the continuous publishing
> books and only use that for guides that we really branch - like the
> three for master/stable?

Yes.

One idea I want to explore is getting rid of /trunk/ completely and using
docs-draft.openstack.org for all in-process documents.

To give some history, /trunk was chosen when we were still using
Launchpad/bzr and the nomenclature for "master" was "trunk" -- so that
folder name is baggage I'd like to leave behind.

Some additional fun facts:
/trunk now shows up in Google searches. For quite a while I had /trunk
excluded in the "documentation" custom search engine but then the
Foundation added a search to the home page and included /trunk.
/trunk never has had comments enabled.
/trunk gets 1/4th of all our traffic
/trunk links are not included in sitemap.xml.
/trunk was originally used for HEAD as documented in
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Release.

I'm sure there are other considerations we'll have to make for a move to
docs-draft, such as ensuring the current release (grizzly now, havana after
oct 17th) docs are clearly marked, indexed, searchable, findable,
commentable.

> * Why does the Admin User Guide have cloud-admin in its name? Shouldn't
> that one be removed?

There are two guides (and more) for admins.

Cloud Administrators Guide
OpenStack Admin User Guide

> Andreas
> --
>  Andreas Jaeger aj@{suse.com,opensuse.org} Twitter/Identica: jaegerandi
>   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
>    GF: Jeff Hawn,Jennifer Guild,Felix Imendörffer,HRB16746 (AG Nürnberg)
>     GPG fingerprint = 93A3 365E CE47 B889 DF7F  FED1 389A 563C C272 A126

Anne Gentle
annegentle at justwriteclick.com