[Openstack-docs] puzzled by install docs (and jenkins failure)

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Fri Sep 6 21:56:24 UTC 2013

Hi Jon --
Yeah yeah we know you're not making it worse! :)

I left a comment on the review itself, but also wanted to add notes here.

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Jonathan Proulx <jon at jonproulx.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was trying to get a quick end of the week win with
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/45491/
>
> The bug it squashes requires just a little bit of change to the example
> dashbord and apache configs in the install guides.
>
> This very much seems to be in common/section_dashboard-configure.xml which
> is included by openstack-install/ch_installdashboard.xml
>
> But when I run 'mvn clean generate-sources' in docbkx/openstack-install
> two surprising (to me) things happen:
>
> a) it only builds the REHL flavor not the Ubuntu flavor docs
> b) it shows me exactly the old version with none of my changes (though the
> files does go away during the build so I know I'm not just looking in the
> wrong spot)

In this case, it's not in the install guide at all but in the Configuration
Reference and the Compute Admin Guide. Build those two to see your content.
Then I would also update the install guide to share this content as well so
we don't have to maintain it in multiple places, right? It seems like
there's a section_dashboard-install.xml that also contains configuration
info.

> Also after a tiny punctuation and spelling fix jenkins fails patch set 2,
> where patch set 1 passed.

We're seeing this weird FontTriplet error on Jenkins sometimes -- builds
fine locally, doesn't do so well on Jenkins slaves when we're at high
loads. For now we're blaming high load but also investigating.

> Help? I was trying to solve problems not create then I promise :)

Thanks Jon! I know you are! :)

> -Jon

Anne Gentle
annegentle at justwriteclick.com