[Openstack-docs] Docs Reviews/General Process Questions

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Thu Oct 31 03:02:52 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

As you know, I'm new to Rackspace and Openstack docs. Therefore, some of
my questions might have really simple answers but I just haven't
discovered them yet (please feel free to enlighten me!). However, based
on advice from Tom, there are some larger questions here that would bear
discussion.

I would like to be doing more docs reviews generally, but I'm kind of
stuck on knowing what's expected of reviewers. What, in your mind, is
considered a successful patch? Is it just grammar and spelling, or is it
sucessfully conveying the message (generally good writing), or is it
technical accuracy (and if so, to what extent? Should I be individually
testing each command? Researching concepts?)

This has lead to some larger questions around process. While the
toolchain is really robust (and impressive, I must say!), what is the
process around recognising and opening bugs, triaging them and assigning
them to writers, researching and writing content, and ennsuring that
content is correct. Is there any capacity for QA aside from code review
(which is largely done by other writers, from what I can see)? Do you,
at any point, expect developers to review docs patches relevant to their
area of expertise? How do you identify and communicate with subject
matter experts, and what input do they have to the docs process?

Thanks,
Lana
--
Lana Brindley