[Openstack-docs] API docs discussion Fri. 9:00 am at Summit

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Wed Oct 30 12:56:27 UTC 2013

Hi all,
I've added a API docs discussion for Friday
9:00am.http://sched.co/1do5nz7 Thanks to the Oslo team for offering
the extra slot. Here's what we want
to discuss.

Diane Fleming is working on a blueprint [1] for the continuous improvement
of our API docs to help out end-users.

The API docs consist of 1) The API Reference pages, 2) The docs generated
from the project-api repos, such as
http://docs.openstack.org/api/openstack-compute/2/content/.

We've been talking to PTLs on email to find out how they use use (and would
like to use) the project-api repos. Originally, back in mid-2012, we said
we'd use the content in the project-api repos for specs to guide your
developers as they implemented the APIs. [2] We had five APIs at that
point. Now that we have doubled the APIs, I want to get the pulse of the
projects and solve some issues related to confusing end-user docs with dev
docs and prioritizing work. One possibility is that we'll get rid of the
<service>-api repos and move the API docs into the project's repo itself.

1. https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Blueprint-os-api-docs