[Openstack-docs] Install guide testing

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Tue Oct 15 16:25:45 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Nicholas Chase <nchase at mirantis.com>wrote:

> OK, I have a stupid question, but on the theory that if one person has a
> stupid question, others probably do as well, I'm going to ask it here.
>
> I'm trying to test Debian, but I'm getting errors that don't seem to be
> "errors" so much as omissions.  For example, RabbitMQ won't start up
> properly, so I'm guessing there's something else I need to do.

Good to ask questions early and often!

> Unfortunately, I'm not enough of an expert to know what to do to fix this.
>
> So my first question is:  I got stuck in the very first steps, so maybe
> it's best to punt on Debian and focus on Ubuntu?

Yeah, I'd say focus on Ubuntu.

> And my second question is: if not, where's the best place to get help with
> something like that?  IRC?

Yes, IRC is good. In the past I would sit next to our private cloud
deployers and pepper them with my questions either in person or via
whatever chat they happened to be in. Because the install goes just like
what you experienced, you can't get past one step to get to the next ones.
:)

I'll be in IRC all day, and I'm also thinking about spinning up two cloud
servers with Ubuntu 12.04 and having those accessible to others so when I
do get stuck they can go in and fix. The key is to know how to explore
what's causing the issue, and people in IRC can help with that.

> ----  Nick

Anne Gentle
annegentle at justwriteclick.com