[Openstack-docs] Using "audience" instead of "os" for profiling in user guides?

David Cramer david.cramer at rackspace.com
Mon Nov 18 15:43:54 UTC 2013

On 11/18/2013 07:53 AM, Steve Gordon wrote:
> I recently proposed a change to our validation scripts to validate that "os" profiling directives used in the DocBook XML were known/valid [1]. While I was doing this I noticed that the user guides use os profiling values of "adminuser" and "enduser" to separate some content. I suspect the more appropriate profiling condition for these would be "audience" instead of overloading "os" for two different use cases.
>
> Is there any known reason *not* to use "audience" in clouddocs-maven? Is it as simple as using <profileAudience>enduser</profileAudience> instead of <profileOs>enduser</profileOs> in the pom.xml to line up the build if I change the XML to use audience?

Hi Steve,
Yes, profiling on <profileAudience> and the audience attribute should
work as well as all the effectivity attributesL arch, audience,
condition, conformance, os, revision, userlevel, vendor...

The only ones I'd avoid using for profiling are role, which is sometimes
used for other work already, and security, which is already controlled
by the <security> param taking the values of external, internal,
reviewer, and writeronly, such that internal and external are mutually
exclusive, while reviewer shows all internal, external, and reviewer
content.

Let me know if you see anything not working as it should.

Regards,
David