[Openstack-docs] Porting Word/PDF API doc to Wiki, then published as an OpenStack API

Thomas, Lincoln (HP Storage R&D) Lincoln.Thomas at hp.com
Sat Nov 16 03:22:24 UTC 2013

Hi Doc folks, AnneG & co.,

I'm looking for your doc experience here to help us with a developer-facing doc. It may eventually become documented externally as an extension to the existing Swift API, so it may end up in your lap in 4-12 months anyway.

We have a new Wiki page https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/MetadataSearch where I've posted a PDF generated from an MS Word doc that I wrote, describing a proposed API.

We'd like to convert this into Wiki form and put it on the page directly, so we can update it frequently and keep the history of changes. The current PDF is big, 33 pages of dense text with lots of tables and formatting.

How would you suggest we convert that into OpenStack's Wiki format? Onto that one page, or a page with child Wiki pages? We'd also like to collect comments/feedback from the community on that Wiki page(s). A handful of us leads on this topic would be the only ones editing it, typically.

Or would you suggest a better form for the doc that could be posted and would allow collaborative updating? (Please, not Etherpad! ;-)

Like I said, it may end up being a published API, so something that you can eventually convert to your formats/templates (HTML/PDF) would be good too.

Are there other cases of APIs/specs in OpenStack being created/updated internally before becoming finally published, and the formats they used during development?

Thanks in advance,
Lincoln Thomas
HP Storage R&D
Lincoln.thomas at hp.com<mailto:Lincoln.thomas at hp.com>