[Openstack-docs] What's Up Doc? May 24, 2013

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Fri May 24 15:47:21 UTC 2013

What's new with you? Here's what's new in OpenStack doc-land.

1. In review and merged this past week:
Diane Fleming was on fire this week, renaming all the guides in the
<product>-api repos to "API v <n> Reference". See
http://docs.openstack.org/api/api-ref-guides.html for the list of links
with the new names.

She also fixed the Identity API v 2.0 guide to include all the client and
admin calls and extensions. This closes a bug logged about a year ago.
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/30216/ Just a little more clean up to go.
This was a huge effort (I tried to do it myself and failed.) :)

2. High priority doc work:
Diane's working on a user guide, as part of the refactoring. Please review
the outline at
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Blueprint-os-user-docs#Summary. I've given
her (way too many) ideas for use cases, but more are welcomed as we shape
this new deliverable.

3. Doc work going on that I know of:
Diane's also got a review in progress,
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/30332/, that changes the doc landing page
to flatten the hierarchy. Please review.

4. New incoming doc requests:
Tempest wants to build docs for the qa.openstack.org site and is working on
a patch at https://review.openstack.org/#/c/30434/.

I talked with John Dickinson, Swift PTL, about a real "specification" for
version 1.0 of the Object Storage API. I explained our framework and
governance over the <project>-api repositories so that he can get started.

5. Doc tools updates:
At the Infrastructure team meeting this week the team noted they are
working on having Jenkins do releases to Maven, so that OpenStack Jenkins
can build the cloud doc tools maven plugin and release it for our use --
this enables any OpenStack contributor to work on the Maven plugin.

I'm trying to figure out if Oxygen 14 has stopped doing the line wrap at 70
that we indicate as the standard in our
http://wiki.openstack.org/Documentation/Conventions page. On my system it
doesn't seem to be doing what it did with version 13.

6. Other doc news:
The Infrastructure team and I are meeting with technical contacts at
O'Reilly to ask questions about their system and whether our contributors
can continue to work on the Operations Guide in synch with any editor work
they have going on. The contract is still under discussion so it's not a
done deal yet but we want to be sure there are no technical hurdles.

The hardening guide sprint is happening next month at a yet-undisclosed
location, headed up by Bryan Payne and Keith Basil. They have enough
writers already but I'm sure they would appreciate good reviews.