[Openstack-docs] Tom's Tables

Joe Topjian joe.topjian at cybera.ca
Mon May 13 15:18:14 UTC 2013

Hello,

I figured I'd send an email about Tom's table creation rather than
commenting on each (or just one) of the patch sets that he submitted.

I think the tables are great. Even if they were published as they are right
now, I think just having the ability to create accurate tables like that is
a great feature.

Should there be the ability to override or append the description of an
option in case the current description is not clear? Or should the proper
fix be to patch the source file where the option is defined? I can see pros
and cons to both. Pro being a single source of information. Con being the
amount of time/effort it would take to backport a description to an older
release.

The only thing I find missing from the tables is how they can be used
beyond a reference point (although beyond a reference point is more of a
"feature request"). Looking through Tom's github repo, I see that the
groupings have to be done manually. I'm curious about what others would
think about expanding on that idea. For example, the ability to group
configuration options into "config sets" such as an "HA config set requires
these options" or "A Quantum agent needs these".

Thanks,
Joe

--
Joe Topjian
Systems Administrator

www.cybera.ca

Cybera is a not-for-profit organization that works to spur and support
innovation, for the economic benefit of Alberta, through the use
of cyberinfrastructure.