[Openstack-docs] [openstack/swift] DocImpact review request change I034b7f79eb6f4d81a5c4da193e1358741441c5b5

gerrit2 at review.openstack.org gerrit2 at review.openstack.org
Fri May 10 22:40:11 UTC 2013

Hi, I'd like you to take a look at this patch for potential
DocImpact.
https://review.openstack.org/24091

Log:
commit fc5b8f8f1f5c95ad77079a4655723eebfb9a2296
Author: Samuel Merritt <sam at swiftstack.com>
Date:   Thu Mar 7 18:51:46 2013 -0800

    Add "normal", optparse-style options to swift-ring-builder add.

    The old format is still present and works just like it did before, so
    your existing scripts won't break.

    New format pros:
     * it's readable even for Swift newcomers
     * it's easy to extend
     * it's familiar to anyone who's used a Unix command line
     * we don't have to maintain the parser

    New format cons:
     * you can't add multiple devices in one go

    Old format pros:
     * you can add many devices with one command
     * it's compact

    Old format cons:
     * it confuses newcomers
     * "wait, is that zone dash IP colon port slash device, or zone slash
       IP dash port colon meta underscore device?" Just try walking
       someone through adding a device in person or over voice chat. I
       double-dog dare you.
     * it's annoying to add new fields

    Note that this only affects the command "swift-ring-builder
    <builderfile> add". Other swift-ring-builder commands are unchanged.

    DocImpact

    Change-Id: I034b7f79eb6f4d81a5c4da193e1358741441c5b5