[Openstack-docs] What's up doc? May 9 2013

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Thu May 9 20:59:04 UTC 2013

1. In review and merged this past week:

For the API site, we now have a navigation feature thanks to the work of
Diane Fleming, Laura Alves and David Cramer. Thanks to all! Check it out at
http://api.openstack.org/api-ref.html.

For openstack-manuals, there were fixes to the basic install and the
install and deploy guide. Plus the backports to stable/grizzly meant a lot
of patches went in this week, 15 patches on Tuesday alone. Nice work
reviewers. Don't feel like you have to wait for my approval either, if
something is correct, go ahead and approve.

2. High priority doc work:

Diane has a pair of patches that will help make our doc titles more
consistent, in advance of the restructuring we're planning in the Havana
release. Please review https://review.openstack.org/#/c/28688/ and
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/28573/.

3. Doc work going on that I know of:

I'm having all sorts of interesting meetings with people who want to
contribute to OpenStack docs -- thanks Tom and others for connecting the
dots. I expect we'll get some good restructuring and a new user's guide
this release.

Lorin Hochstein has a patch in review at
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/26624/ for a new manual, that focuses
entirely on creating and modifying virtual machine images. Please review
and comment. Thank you Lorin!

4. New incoming doc requests:

Lots of people want and need a "What can I do with OpenStack clouds?"
document. Diane's working on an outline and needs your use cases! Here are
example tutorials:

-build and run a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) stack

-run a .NET app on OpenStack instances

-run a load-balanced Java web app (Spring, Tomcat, MySQL) on OpenStack
services

Send in your tutorials so we can really get rolling on this new document.

5. Doc tools updates:

We are now moving to the 1.8.0 version of the Maven cloud doc tools plugin
which contained the new navigation menu for the API reference page.

6. Other doc news:

We didn't pick up a documentation intern during this round of the GNOME
Outreach Program for Women, but hopefully Laura Alves will continue to
contribute (she is, she is!)

I ran through the data analysis for "Who Wrote Grizzly Docs?" in a post at
http://justwriteclick.com/2013/04/26/who-wrote-openstack-grizzly-docs/.
Really interesting stuff, and we are definitely looking for more
contributors to upstream OpenStack docs.