[Openstack-docs] some minor issues during ops-guide translation on Transifex

Akihiro MOTOKI amotoki at gmail.com
Wed May 8 12:42:42 UTC 2013

Hi Daisy,

Thanks for your work.

2013/5/8 Ying Chun Guo <guoyingc at cn.ibm.com>

> > (1) PO file on Transifex is not synced with the document on github
> repository.
> >
> > This is very simple. Updating source lang file in Transifex solves it.
> >
> > PO file generated from openstack-manuals repository contains hyperlinks
> > with the style of "<link xlink:title="...." xlink:href="....">.
> > On the other hand, hyperlinks in PO file on Transifex have the style
> > without xlink
> > (<link title="...." href="....">).
> > It results in a situation where some paragraphs are still untranslated
> >
> > I could not find the document without xlink hyperlinks in the
> > history of git repo.
> > PO file on Transifex seems not to be generated from openstack-manuals
> repo.
> >
> > Could you update Transifex source lang file?
> > It can be easily done by tools/generatepot in the repo.
> >

> I think it's a bug of xml2po. "<link xlink:title=.. xlink:href=..>" in the
> source XML file
> will be changed to "<link title=.. href=..>" in the generated PO file.
> I'm debugging to find the solution now.

Let me clarify what is the expected behavior.
"<link xlink:title=.. xlink:href=..>" in source XML file should be
converted to "<link title=.. href=..>". Is it expected?

I use Debian wheezy and Ubuntu 12.04/12.10.
On Ubuntu 12.10 the version of gnome-doc-utils is 0.20.10-1.
I get "<link xlink:title=.. xlink:href=..>" in The POT file generated by
tools/generatepot (as Tomoyuki wrote).

> But I cannot understand why it results in a situation that some para are
> still untranslated.
> Can you explain more?

I think the situation is very simple. My understanding is as follows:
- xml2po in the repository generates msgid strings with xlink:title or
xlink:href.
- POT/PO file registered to Transifex contains msgid string without xlink.
  Thus PO file retrieved by "tx pull" contains "<link title=.. href=..>".
- tools/generatedoc looks up msgid string with xlink, but there is no msgid
string with xlink in the PO file.

As a result, paragraphs which contains <link ...> are still untranslated in
the generated document (under generated/ja/openstack-ops/).

Thanks,
Akihiro