[Openstack-docs] some minor issues during ops-guide translation on Transifex

Akihiro MOTOKI amotoki at gmail.com
Tue May 7 11:28:53 UTC 2013

Hi all,

First round of translations of Operation manuals into Japanese has been
completed last week.
I'm also working with masanori (itoh-san), tomoyuki (kato-san) and members
of Japan Users Group.

During the translation on Transifex, we found the following issues:
- (1) POT file on Transifex is not synced with the document on github
repository.
- (2) Transifex cannot handle % character properly

(1) PO file on Transifex is not synced with the document on github
repository.

This is very simple. Updating source lang file in Transifex solves it.

PO file generated from openstack-manuals repository contains hyperlinks
with the style of "<link xlink:title="...." xlink:href="....">.
On the other hand, hyperlinks in PO file on Transifex have the style
without xlink
(<link title="...." href="....">).
It results in a situation where some paragraphs are still untranslated

I could not find the document without xlink hyperlinks in the history of
git repo.
PO file on Transifex seems not to be generated from openstack-manuals repo.

Could you update Transifex source lang file?
It can be easily done by tools/generatepot in the repo.

(2) Transifex cannot handle % character properly

Some sentences contains "%" character followed by a space and
it seems Transifex recognizes the sequence as a conversion specifier by
mistake.

For example, "Once you have reproduced the issue (or are 100% confident
that this is indeed a valid bug) and have permissions to do so, set:"
contains "% c".
When translating the sentence, Transifex warns us that there is no "% c" in
the translation
and we cannot save the translated sentence. Now we insert a dummy word such
"%c_dummy" to avoid this issue.

Or should we escape % character by %%?
By doing it we can avoid the above problem, but AFAIK such escape is not
done in other po related tools such as po4a.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Akihiro MOTOKI