[Openstack-docs] What's Up Doc? June 12, 2013

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Wed Jun 12 14:50:21 UTC 2013

We held our doc team meeting Monday and you can read the summary log at
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/MeetingLogs#2013-06-11.
Thanks to all who joined in. Onward to this week's report from docland.

1. In review and merged this past week:

We merged more than 20 patches in the past week, I like this pace and want
to sustain it. Still would like more doc bug fixes -- nova and networking
lead the way with over 70 combined doc bugs.

2. High priority doc work:

The High Availability guide got lots of discussion recently. Emilien Macchi
and Nick Chase are working on an outline at
https://etherpad.openstack.org/HA-Active-Active. They're getting a lot of
input on the comments on that Etherpad so feel free to follow along and
help.

3. Doc work going on that I know of:

I'm working on a Configuration Reference as per blueprint
"restructure-documentation" [1]. One of the difficulties is that Swift does
not use the common Oslo project for their configuration files, so I'm
referring to a spreadsheet Tom made for their options. [2]

Diane's working on the User Guide at
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/32183/as per the same blueprint but
she also has a detailed design at [3].

Lorin's continually updating the VM Image Management guide.

4. New incoming doc requests:

Diane has found that we'll need an admin user guide in addition to a user
guide, so I'll call that a new doc.

5. Doc tools updates:

We have support for Japanese fonts in PDF output in the 1.8.1-SNAPSHOT
which will become the 1.8.1 release of the Cloud Docs Maven plugin.

Tom Fifieldt and Stephen Deaton have been working on automating DocImpact
for bug creation in Launchpad.

6. Other doc news:

I want to offer "office hours" for doc contributors or potential
contributors to stop by and ask questions. They can come to us via IRC or
ask via email initially, then we can also hop onto Skype, Google Hangout,
whatever works best for the newcomer. I shopped it on IRC in the
#openstack-doc channel this morning, and we'll start with Mondays at 16:00
UTC. I've added it to the OpenStack calendar feed, which you can get from
[4].

O'Reilly is continuing to work with the Foundation to get a contract in
place for the Operations Guide. I don't have more to report other than they
are definitely interested and would like to meet the OSCon deadline if
possible.

The Infrastructure team is holding a boot camp to help newcomers learn
their systems and become great contributors. We'd like to set up something
similar for doc contributors. See
https://etherpad.openstack.org/DocsBootCamp2013.

1.
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/restructure-documentation