[Openstack-docs] What's Up Doc? Wed July 31 2013

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Wed Jul 31 21:51:35 UTC 2013

1. In review and merged this past week:

We had nearly 20 doc patches go through in a single day this week, that is
excellent. Nice work everyone.

Thanks to ChangBo Guo for the patch to update the keystone LDAP backend
configuration docs, this is an area often asked about so the patch is much
appreciated.

I've been backporting a few patches to Grizzly today, hoping to stop doing
that soon though.

2. High priority doc work:

There are about 100 DocImpact bugs that have code already merged. In
keeping with our priority of core projects first and users first, pick doc
bugs that affect those groups the most.

Today's the last day of July and Feature freeze is just a month and a few
days away, Sept. 4th. [1] Knowing this milestone is important for docs
because I think we'll see more doc focus after feature freeze and we should
be ready to review docs and point devs to doc bugs they can pick up, and
which documents to edit to fix a particular doc bug. I really like how many
more people are becoming familiar with "what goes where" so thanks for that.

3. Doc work going on that I know of:

Shaun should have lab access by the end of the week so he can test install
instructions. Go go Shaun! Now that we know nova-network will not be
deprecated in Havana [2], the adventures can be chosen. I hope. :)

Diane's working on an admin user guide, sharing source from the end user
guide, and Summer will help out with quotas.

Nermina's working on updates to the getting started chapters to give them a
refresh.

Steve's going to clean up the use of the /common/ directory.

I find I wake up to a handful of incoming doc comments daily. If you'd like
to be added to the moderator's list for doc comments, please send me your
Disqus ID. The more the merrier!

I met with Todd Morey, our designer at the Foundation this week. He's
investigating a refresh on the docs site to support translations. I don't
have much to report other than he's working hard, taking the requirements
from https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/WebContentRequirements, to mock up
some solutions.

4. New incoming doc requests:

The Database as a service (Trove) dev team will add a link to their
developer site.

Still working with IBMers on documenting Compute API v3.

5. Doc tools updates:

Thanks Shaun for the killer tips on xi:includes and using XPath to deep
dive into content. Cool.

6. Other doc news:

The deadline for the Google Summer of Code Doc Camp is August 7th. If you'd
like to apply as an individual or a group, see
http://www.booksprints.net/2013/07/2013-doc-camp-announced/.

I talked about our "core first and users first" vision for the OpenStack
Documentation Program at the Technical Committee meeting this week, and it
was met with support. [3]
Please register for the Docs Boot Camp so we know how many we'll have!
Thank to those of you who have registered! I'm pretty sure we're at 20 who
plan to come. [4]

1. https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Havana_Release_Schedule
2. http://www.mail-archive.com/openstack@lists.launchpad.net/msg24990.html
3.