[Openstack-docs] Good practice for stable release doc updates?

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Mon Jul 15 21:43:20 UTC 2013

Hi Gauvain,
I haven't written up a policy yet as we are still working through "what's
in a release" with the technical committee now that Documentation is a
Program. But as a general rule, I want the current release (grizzly) to be
as accurate as possible and I approve backported docs with relish.

We know we have plenty of Essex installs out there, and since we serve the
users, let's make sure we keep the latest release branch as accurate as
humanly possible. Thanks for asking!

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Gauvain Pocentek <
gauvain.pocentek at objectif-libre.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I was wondering if there's some kind of policy or good practice defined
> for updating the stable release docs? I've only worked on the trunk until
> now, and Lorin did some backports (thanks!). Any link would be much
> appreciated.
>
> I'm asking this because I've seen a few little things that would be nice
> to fix in the grizzly install docs. These docs (basic and "standard") seem
> to be a very good starting point for new OS admins -- helped me a lot --,
> but I feel that a little polishing could improve the first technical
> contacts of newcomers with OS.
>
> I know that there's a lot of great work going on to improve this
> documentation for havana, but the grizzly docs are what people will be
> using for at least 3 more months. I'm not thinking about a full rewrite of
> course, but some kind of QA/maintenance (taking user comments into account,
> updates following the distro packaging changes...).
>
> Does this sound right to you, and if yes, where should I start to help wih
> this :) ?

This morning I gave Shaun McCance a bug for cleanup of the Grizzly Install
Guide, but if you're feeling eager it's a good place for you to start:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1199133

I'd also look for bugs that have grizzly: in the Description. These were
brought in via DocImpact flags. For example:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1087051
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1090654

Thanks again for asking -
Anne